Sunday, August 29, 2010

"They Say Quitters Never Win"

"But we walk the plank on a sinking ship. There's a world outside of my front door, the gets off on being down." - Fall Out Boy

I love music. A lot of people say, "Oh music is awesome, I seriously love it!" or "I CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT MUSIC!" And as true as that may be or sound, I don't think they know the magnitude of how music affects our lives. We just think, "Okay, I'm going to listen to some awesome beats." Okay, we get the earphones and we plug them into our ears. We nod our heads as the beats take over our mind and slowly, our souls. *Click. Okay, songs over. Move on to the next portion of our lives.

But you see, to me, music is so much more. On different days, I'll listen to music because I need something to relax me. I've had a stressful day at school and I just need something melodic and sweet to the ear. I put my earphones in to my ears and relax to the soothing sounds of Jack Johnson or Colbie Callait. But oh no, I don't stop there. I reel in the lyrics of the songs and I let the words take control of me. They wrap themselves around my brain and squeeze the stress out of it. This is what music is to me. The beat is what makes sweet-loving to my ears, but the lyrics are what really control my brain and take me away.  


For another example, I'm crying my eyes out. My best friend/person I love most in this world leaves me to another place. I'm never going to see her/him again and I feel like I'm going to be forgotten. To block out everything, I listen to music. And the lyrics from, "I'm Like a Lawyer With The Way I'm Always Trying To Get You Off (Me+You)" make me feel different, like reminiscent almost, but my eyes are still flooded with tears.

"Me and you
Setting in a honeymoon
If I woke up next to you
If I woke up next to you



Collect the bad habits
That you couldn't bare to keep
Out of the woods but I love
A tree I used to lay beneath
Kissed teeth stained red
From a sour bottle baby girl
With eyes the size of baby worlds."


Or I listen to a song that has lyrics from, "For You I Will", which reminds me of what used to be, and makes me cry even more because I'm going through a different type of self-mutilation.

"Forgive me if I stutter
From all of the clutter in my head
Cuz I could fall asleep in those eyes
Like a water bed
Do I seem familiar, i've crossed you in hallways
a thousand times, no more camouflage
I want to be exposed, and not be afraid to fall.

I'm gonna muster every ounce of confidence I have
And cannon ball into the water
I'm gonna muster every ounce of confidence I have
For you I will
You always want what you can't have
But I've got to try
I'm gonna muster every ounce of confidence I have
For you I will"



Or, I could do the cool and joyous thing and listen to an upbeat song that will lift my spirits and make me happy.

"Shots shots shots shots shots shots
shots shots shots shots shots
shots shots shots shots shots
everybody (x2) "
Shots- LMFAO feat. Lil Jon

Hahahahaah, or maybe:

"Oh, oh
I want some more
Oh, oh
What are you waitin' for?
Take a bite of my heart tonight
Oh oh
I want some more"

- Animal, Neon Trees.


I NEED a song with a melody, but most importantly, one with lyrics that relate to me. Or at least make me feel happy. :)

Taylor Swift. This girl knows how to play with words... I'm not kidding you. And not only that, her voice is hecka amazing AND she knows how to play the guitar. Yay for country pop singers, huh? I think she is amazing. All of her songs (which is a lot, I might add) relate to every single teenage girl in America today. They are from past experiences that she had as a young teenager and I find her songs to be absolutely awesomepossum. CHECK'EM OUT DUDDESSSS. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment