Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Dear Mom

Dear Mom,

Thank you.  It's weird how two words that mean so much cannot even begin to equate to the amount of gratitude that I feel towards you.  You have done so much for me and I cannot even begin to thank you for making me the woman I am today.  From the moment I was conceived to my birth to my 17th birthday, you have been amazing.  You found a way to stay with me for all 17 years and never once doubted me and my abilities.  You taught me virtues that I have instilled into my everyday life; you have taught me the various acts of kindness that make people around me smile; you have made everyone in my life realize how great of a person you are.  You are so humble with others, you rarely let it get to you - another admirable quality that I hope to gain when I grow to be your age.


Most importantly, thank you for putting up with me.  I know I have been a hassle since the day I was in your belly.  The morning sickness, contractions, and the pain you had to go through in delivery are insurmountable and that just scratches the surface.  Since I was born, you have curated me into this woman.  You fed me, you bathed me, you gave me love.  You watched as I grew up and you still watch as I mature.  You've seen me at my worst and you've seen me at my best.  I know we never really get along and we fight more than we laugh, but I figure that's just nature at work.  I love you and no matter how bad things get, I want you to know that you will always be my mother - the woman who was able to show me what being a woman really meant.  I know I've done things that have shamed you, done things that have made you mad, done things that have made you cry.  I am not proud to say that I inflicted this pain on you - I apologize to the bottom of my heart, in the sincerest way possible.  You have put up with me and that in itself (I think) is an admirable quality and I envy you for your patience.


You have done more than raise me - you have made me learn the ways of the world.  You taught me kindness.  You taught me humility.  You taught me generosity.  And most importantly, you really taught me selflessness.  Whether or not I have perfected it, that is still something to be improved, but you have proved yourself as an example of selflessness.  You always put others before yourself and that's a quality I hope to gain as I grow older.  I try hard to mimic you and I attempt to mirror the good person that you are. I do hope to cook like you some day - haha, you make the best fried rice and fried soba.  Humor aside, I truly hope to be like you one day.  You are exactly what a mother should be - an example and a teacher.  You showed me what being a good human really is and I have yet to be half the woman that you are.

Thank you for being my mother.  I wouldn't trade you for anyone else.  I love you.

Your daughter,

Amber

No comments:

Post a Comment